Kitty cats. Always so cute and so silly. But if they start chomping on your plants, it’s not fun. Especially if that particular plant is toxic. You could hang plants up out of the way, or pop them on a plant stand, but chances are your feline friend will find a way to get to them. It’s going to be safer to just steer clear of plants that aren’t cat friendly.
Don’t panic though! There’s still plenty of plants that are safe for cats, and we’re going to get to those too!
Let’s keep it simple, below is a list of plants, both their common names and botanical names. These are the ones to avoid, and if you have them and have a cat too, you could always look to do a plant swap? The Instagram account UK Plant Exchange is a great place to start or ask around with friends and family to see if there’s any swap-shopping opportunities.
Houseplants that are toxic to cats
- Rubber Plant - Ficus Robusta
- Snake Plant - Sanseveria
- Fiddle Leaf Fig - Ficus Lyrata
- Polka Dot Begonia - Begonia Maculata
- Swiss Cheese Plant - Monstera Deliciosa
- Peace Lily - Spathiphyllum
- Aloe Vera
- Golden Pothos - Epipremnum Aureum
- Jade Succulent - Crassula
- Sago Palm - Cycas Revoluta
- English Ivy - Hedera Helix
- Dumb Cane - Dieffenbachia
Now that might make for a scary list if you’re a budding plant lover and also have cats to think about. But fear not...
Houseplants that are safe for Cats
- Spider Plant - Chlorophytum Comosum
- Boston Fern - Nephrolepis Exaltata
- Areca Palm - Dypsis Lutescens
- Prayer Plant - Maranta
- Zebra Plant - Calathea Zebrina
- Parlour Palm - Chamaedorea Elegans
- Calathea Orbifolia
- Watermelon Peperomia - Peperomia Argyreia
- Orchid - Phalaenopsis
- Staghorn Fern - Platycerium
Not a bad list that one! There’s some great plant options in there to choose from if you have cats at home that you need to consider. The Calathea and Marantaceae families in particular have some plants with amazing foliage that will really bring a lush vibe to your home.
Don’t despair if you find there’s a plant in your home that probably shouldn’t be there. Look for a plant swap or even if that plant can be given as a gift the next time you need a last minute birthday present!
Make sure to pin this for later, when your plant shop scrolling and need to double check the list first!
Happy plant shopping,